Tuesday, April 15, 2008

TO RAP OR NOT TO RAP




Okay so here is the question that every person that does music eventually has to ask themshelves. "Is it time to call it quits yet?" This music thing is a who you know business nowadays. It used to be that the good music rises to the top, but in the wake of the "Umma Do Me's" and the "Dunn Dunn's" its clear that quality music is a thing of the past. So as a producer/rapper/promoter/graphic designer, I constantly evaluate my progress and ask myself if its time to quit yet.
As a youngn I promised myself that I would never quit. I still hold true to that. Unfortunately a lot of people around me have fallen out of the race. I wont name any names for fear that they dont know they have fallen out of the race, but when i talk to them all i hear is excuses. Cats have started families, and thats all good, but sometimes that causes people to work harder, but sometimes it forces people to stop. I have no children and no wife, because I chose to put those things aside so i can properly chase my dreams. If not then I will be struggling working for someone else the rest of my life. If i short change my dreams the only person I really hurt is myself.
I imagine that Samuel Jackson could have quit a long time ago. I have never seen a young Samuel L. Jackson. Get the picture? If not then start a family and imitate the cosby's. Stay out of rap altogether and leave it to the people that are serious. If you feel this blog is a personal attack on you, it's not. If you feel this does attack you, then re-evaluate your shit. If you need me, I will be on the grind. Holla at cha.

1 comment:

Vee (Scratch) said...

Nothing wrong with chasing your dreams. I've read stories of former prostitute crack heads with children going to rehab and becoming a nurse making over 90k a year.
DMX started really late in the game. I don't know how old Flo Rida is but he doesn't look like a young cat.

As far as the music business goes. There are many cats who achieve great success in the game with little to no notoriety, fame or inside information. At the end of the day, passion, determination and commitment to your music wins. There are many indie success stories out there that many people do not know.